Wednesday 21 December 2016

A brief history of time by Stephen Hawking

OK, I assume it. I became so intrigued with the character that Stephen Hawking is, that far before the hype of his image 'exploitation' in the American TV hit 'The Big Bang Theory' (that I just loooooove), I had to know more about his work. Immediately comes to one's mind, almost naturally, his book 'A Brief History of Time'. I visited Waterstones online and purchased it alongside yet another book on a not so unrelated topic (near death experiences) that I will analyse in depth when the right time comes. But let me share with you my brief opinion on the book? 
I have only read half of it and I always read the full book regardless of liking it or not. I always give the writer a chance and I make the commitment of reading the efforts of a person who sat at a computer table and wrote through his ideas, opinions, imaginations for weeks or months. But this book let me down! I'm sorry to all those in the Stephen Hawking blind support crew who just appreciate everything he does without questioning the inherent quality. The person is unquestionably wise, genius and ingenious, incredibly clever like I don't even think I will be in my future 1000 lives. He lived through a horrific disability with an impressive capacity and example of stern ambition. But his book is in my opinion a poor amalgam of subjects intended for the general public, but quite often loses track on the needed simplicity that should be applied to its writing. The examples are poor, the images that intend to give physical body and facilitate interpretation of the examples are even poorer. The most impressive factor is that the book is capable of explaining the hard topics extremely well, for then making a mess of the simplest topics by using confusing explanations, paradigms, examples. 

Anyway I'm only half-way through, but so far I understand that if you don't have a basic knowledge of Physics you won't get most of it. I'm sorry, but that is an undeniable truth! If you deal with Physics on a daily basis you might find it simplistic, but honestly still a bit of a Picasso frame, as there are bits and bobs that could be better lined up. Some parts are like back and forth leaps that simply maze the reader a little too much. I'll keep reading it, though, but so far it's a 2.5 out of 5. 

But let me offer you two antagonistic perspectives from other readers that might help you decide whether to buy it or not.





Readers opinions kindly obtained from [http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3869.A_Brief_History_of_Time#other_reviews]

No comments:

Post a Comment